Skip to main content

Toddler girl quilt - post 2

I'm going to change up my blog soon. I like the newer modern template choices. 

Today's post is more documentation for my process on this quilt. This is probably TLDR.

Worked on fitting the quilt to the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork Templates for making Drunkard's Path blocks in 3 to 4 inches. I had these, they'll make cutting easier and I haven't used them in a while. To make them fit the quilt, I had to make my blocks 7 inches finished and use a 6 by 6 block layout. I use EQ7 for designing so changing it up is easy. 

I will need 36 blocks, 18 with black pie sub-blocks and 18 with bright pie sub-blocks. I need 72 HST which divide into 8 sets of 9 different colors. I can also evenly divide the number of Drunkard's Path blocks into 9 so I trimmed my fabrics down to 9 from 15 in the last post. All of these are from my stash.


Pretty good picture but the greens got lost. I'll get 8 HST from each color and 8 Drunkard's Path sub-blocks in opposite color orientation. Here is my focus fabric for the borders and I'll use black as the background.

 
Both of these photos look a bit washed out and the white looks blue. I guess I'll have to go outside to take pictures next time or use a different editor.

I'm doing 8 at a time HST as described here. It's been so long since I've done them. I'm so excited to see how the colors pop. I can't wait! After I get the sub blocks done, they'll be going up on the design wall to see how I want them arranged. 
 
But, I'm in the middle of finishing up another quilt for a toddler boy that just needs a couple more sides and a binding, approximately 6 hours more. That quilt was already started so I'm going to have to make a whole series on the documentation of that one.

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of