Skip to main content

Changing Times Changing Blog

     Well 2020 has been an eventful year hasn't it? Or maybe since many of us are at home it isn't. My life has been complicated long before the virus. In my retirement from being a full time parent, I decided to go to school and get a degree in Electrical Engineering. I feel like it is a calling. I've loved going back to school and it's very rewarding. At first it wasn't so bad when I was taking community college classes to get up to speed and re-learn all the math I was going to need. Then I started university in the fall of 2019. Wow did the course load increase dramatically! Fortunately, even though I didn't think so at the time, I had burned out from the job I was doing and quit right before I started Uni. If that hadn't have happened I would have failed many classes. All my free time was spent studying and preparing my brain to think like an engineer. Sewing was a dream reserved for those who had time, which wasn't me. I actually managed to get my nephew's quilt done over winter break. And now I've gotten my nieces' done over this summer break. All of this is to say, in my usual verbose manner. That my sewing blog will be changing. 

    I've been thinking about how to keep up with quilting and posting while I'm in school this year and the next couple. Not sewing all last school year drove me crazy. I've found I'm not happy unless I'm making something. So I'm thinking of doing the Sewcialites quilt along at Fat Quarter shop. I hope I can keep up with a 6 inch block a week. I already have my fabric picked out and separated from my stash for it. I'm also doing their Scrappy September. I've got a few things lined up for that also. I'm also cutting out and eventually piecing a Labyrinth Walk quilt for my bed. So much to do. I don't do social media like Instagram or Facebook but I still like to document my progress. I already have this blog so I'm going to try to keep up with it. I'm going to switch to mostly photos with links relative to them. I hope this way I won't spend an hour trying to create a post. My photos probably won't be as polished either but as Angela Walters says "Finished is better than perfect." That's been my sewing motto lately and it's helped me get some WIPs finished. That's all for now and I've got to get back to the books. Online classes are tough. Hopefully you'll see photos soon. Happy Quilting!

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of