Skip to main content

Quilt art

My daughter had a quilting project in art class. Actually, it was a painting project that used quilt blocks. They were to pick 4 quilt blocks and place them in the order the teacher wanted. The teacher also had rules about the colors and tints. They were supposed to pick 3 colors and 1 tint. She obviously hadn't quilted before. My daughter broke the rules anyways and made tints of 2 of the colors. I think she knew instinctively that the colors would blend too closely together. She is the real artist in the family. This project was done in December so she thought she would be able to give it to me for Christmas. It was chosen to be displayed in the main hallway and stayed at school. Friday she got in the the car after school and said "Merry Christmas!" and gave it to me. I love it and pinned it up this weekend in my quilting space. I know it's going to call to me to make it into a fabric quilt one day.

 

Edited 2/6/2010 with a picture that better represents the colors.

Comments

  1. That is totally amazing!!! I love it! I always loved art class but would have never dreamed of that! No wonder it was on display!! That would be an awesome quilt!!!!! Tell her she could make one of those for me any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It looks even better in person. She's an amazing artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    I love these blues - SO inspiring!

    Thanks for leaving your nice comment on my blog - funnily enough, I'm not a big fan of pink either - but I have it on hand because I know some people do. (lol) However, I like this end result.

    Looking forward to checking out your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I hope to have a reply to you shortly but if not it's because I'm busy quilting.

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of