Skip to main content

Home again, home again...

Our trip to visit family in Houston was great. Everyone loved the little quilt I made for my Niece's baby. I'm sure they're all wondering when they'll get theirs next. Well, they can keep wondering. Here's the best picture I took. I hope they send me one with the baby, probably in the winter.



Due to limited funds we went to art museums while we were there because they were free. Houston has lots of them for free or free days during the week and I think I've seen my share of art for the month. I have had art overload! All the art has inspired me to keep sewing, which is a very good thing.

Here are a couple of things I've sewn since I've been back, and after finishing 3 days worth of laundry:



This is a 12.5 inch block made of batiks that I picked up at a local quilt store one day. They had a BOM program but I didn't go back for the rest. I really like this one because the centers of both my four-patch units and hourglass units came out perfectly! It's going to get donated, along with a few others, to make Project Linus quilts.



These are 5 of 6 diamond blocks I made from the leftover strip sets for the Halloween Lone Star quilt I gave to my MIL. I finally cut and put them together this week. I don't think they went together as well this time around but I wasn't as fussy about it either. I think I'm going to set  the 5 in an X with thin black sashings and make a wall hanging for myself.

I'm looking for more patchwork to do and I can't seem to settle on anything. I have 2 kits my MIL bought me that I can start. One is a small applique wall hanging that I did the tracing for but then put it all away. The other is a pattern that I can start cutting but I'm not that interested in starting it right this moment. Then I found Fat Cat Patterns today and all the free patterns and BOMs that they have. There are a few I'd like to do but I feel hesitant. They're mostly applique and I want to do patchwork. Then there's all the fabric sitting around that I can work with but haven't. It's so hard to decide! I've got too many monkeys running around in my head.

(crossposted to my Live Journal)

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of