My Halloween quilt is coming along. I'm trying to get the bat fabric to go in one direction and the angles I have to cut are weird but it's coming along. This is my layout so far:
Some of the pieces have been sewn together on the diagonal. I'm hopefully going to work more on this today.
I'm joining the blockofthemonth group (on Live Journal) this round and I'm so excited! This is my first BOM, here's my fabrics:
I used the B&W filter on my camera phone to take the second picture. The B&W photo shows the color values of my choices. That is one of my favorite tips that I saw/read somewhere along the way.
These fabrics were given to me by my MIL. She made sets of decorative napkins out of them and I got a ton of leftovers. This BOM inspired me to use them, as soon as I saw it I knew I had the perfect set of fabrics. All I bought was some Kona solid white. Here's my first block:
I'm making the 16.5 inch blocks. It's huge! I love it! I hope to really get all of the colors into the whole thing so it looks balanced because this one looks a bit weird by itself.
Another tip I'd like to share is to not waste those leftover bits from the flying geese units. I pieced them as the directions said by positioning a square over the rectangle and sewing on the diagonal of the square. Then I draw a line 1/2 inch away from the stitched line, in the section that is going to get cut off, and stitch on that. When I cut between them, I now have a flying geese unit and two half square triangles. Here's a picture of my leftovers from the block above, they're 3.75 inches square:
I don't know what I'm going to do with them but they look cute as pinwheels and will go into a pile of scraps that just this quilt is going to make. Maybe they'll go into the borders. Anyways, I can't wait till next month!
(crossposted to blockofthemonth and my Live Journal)