Skip to main content

On a roll...

I've so gotten into sewing this week that I've often forgotten to eat! It totally satisfies my cravings. Here's what I've done:

My Halloween quilt is coming along. I'm trying to get the bat fabric to go in one direction and the angles I have to cut are weird but it's coming along. This is my layout so far:

Some of the pieces have been sewn together on the diagonal. I'm hopefully going to work more on this today.

I'm joining the [info]blockofthemonth group (on Live Journal) this round and I'm so excited! This is my first BOM, here's my fabrics:


I used the B&W filter on my camera phone to take the second picture. The B&W photo shows the color values of my choices. That is one of my favorite tips that I saw/read somewhere along the way.

These fabrics were given to me by my MIL. She made sets of decorative napkins out of them and I got a ton of leftovers. This BOM inspired me to use them, as soon as I saw it I knew I had the perfect set of fabrics. All I  bought was some Kona solid white. Here's my first block:

I'm making the 16.5 inch blocks. It's huge! I love it! I hope to really get all of the colors into the whole thing so it looks balanced because this one looks a bit weird by itself.

Another tip I'd like to share is to not waste those leftover bits from the flying geese units. I pieced them as the directions said by positioning a square over the rectangle and sewing on the diagonal of the square. Then I draw a line 1/2 inch away from the stitched line, in the section that is going to get cut off, and stitch on that. When I cut between them, I now have a flying geese unit and two half square triangles. Here's a picture of my leftovers from the block above, they're 3.75 inches square:

I don't know what I'm going to do with them but they look cute as pinwheels and will go into a pile of scraps that just this quilt is going to make. Maybe they'll go into the borders. Anyways, I can't wait till next month!

(crossposted to [info]blockofthemonth and my Live Journal)

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of