Skip to main content

A look back: baby quilt #1

This is the first baby quilt I ever made and it never got delivered:






I made this for my husband's coworker who had a baby girl.  This pattern worked up visually striking. My inspiration for the colors was the border fabric. I may have used a pattern from the Quilter's Cache for this quilt but I don't have any designing notes as far as I can tell. The construction pictures I have are dated Audust 2004. It's fluffy and tied with yellow 6 strand DMC embroidery floss. I have a ton of colors because I used to crosstitch. I also hand quilted hearts in the corners with it:





and made a matching pillowcase with a baby pillow:





This gift never made it to the recipient because after all that work, I washed it and found a blue stain in one of the yellow areas. It looked like pen ink but I never had a pen near it and there are no other spots so I didn't think it was the fabric. You can see it, kind of, in the whole yellow star on the upper left. It doesn't look so big but I was so distraught that it wasn't perfect that I couldn't give it away. We now sometimes snuggle under it in the winter. I believe it's 40in by 40in.

Comments

  1. That's a pretty quilt. Did you just keep it because you couldn't get rid of it? That would be my problem! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was horrified to find the stain and just couldn't give a gift that was damaged but i do really like how it came out :oD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I hope to have a reply to you shortly but if not it's because I'm busy quilting.

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of