So far this year I've made two pincushion thread catchers from the Abby Bag pattern. I bought the kit for these from Connecting Threads last Mother's day. The kits are no longer available and most of the fabrics are sold out also :o(
If you've checked out the link, you'll notice I didn't make it like it's pictured. I didn't like the original bag so I searched on the internet and found these directions to make essentially the same thing but with a bag I liked. I also have to say that I didn't like the Abbey Bag pattern directions too much. Some of it was explained well, like the pincushion construction, but I didn't like how it went together or the original bag. This pattern could have used someone who is knowledgeable about sewing and technically minded to write it up and test it. It took me a couple of tries to figure out the directions to make the original bag and it could have benefited from more illustrations. It came free with the fabric kit so I'm not all that fussed but if I had paid $9 for it I would not be impressed considering there are great picture tutorials for free on the web. Suffice it to say, I will not make another with these directions.
The bag I made I love! I used belting to keep it rigid and open in the top and I added Velcro to the connector and back of the bag to make it removable, something the other pattern did not have. The Velcro isn't the best solution. I would've used buttons but they would've gotten in the way of the belting inserted in the top. I think next time I'm going to use some hooks and eyes. These were fun to make and I can see myself making more in different styles. I'm going to make one with a teacup on top for my tea loving daughter. I'll post my current project soon, maybe when it's done.