Skip to main content

Pincushions and pattern weights

My coworker turns wood and got what he calls an eclipse bowl. There's a small bit of a ring in the bottom you can see when you hold it up to the light.

I took it and made it into a big weighted pin cushion. My first idea was to make the cushion into a hexagon flower shape to fit in the bowl.



 I had some leftover charms from a quilt and turned these into the front and back. I sewed them together and filled it with walnut shell bits. It came out looking funny in the bowl, it was too big, so it was back to the drawing board.

I used the scraps from that to randomly piece together something I could cut a circle out of. It came out much better, but a bit big, and I can also use them both as pattern weights. I'm happy with them and get to see some of my favorite fabrics all the time. It's Urban Odyssey from Connecting Threads and is no longer available :o(
I might try the hexagon flower again with triangle bits to fill in the inside corners and make it more hexagon shaped.

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of