Skip to main content

Crazy quilt blocks (post #2)

We, my MIL, daughter and I, worked on our crazy quilt blocks all through 2015. These are our first crazy quilt blocks pieced! I used the method where you randomly cut a 5 sided polygon, place it on a piece of muslin and randomly add strips around it.



The second set went much faster than the first. We decided to do 4 blocks each. It's been so much fun. We managed to get all four blocks pieced but we were so busy in 2015 that they've been waiting for this year to put together and finish.


MIL
 daughter
 mine

These are our blocks. The finished block size is going to be about 10" x 13". Some are trimmed to size, some aren't and I overlapped them so they look very crazy!

We planned to do a wall hanging and trade a block with each other so we each have one from the other. The final layout is yet to be determined. My MIL gave me Electric Quilt 7 for Christmas so that will help loads in figuring it out. It's been lots of fun & no stress. We can't wait to embellish them! I'll post more when they're trimmed and I have some layouts.

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of