Skip to main content

Quilting my Urban Odyssey Jelly Roll quilt AKA the "Done is Better than Perfect" Quilt

I bought these 2.5 inch Urban Odyssey strips from Connecting Threads and sewed them into a quick quilt ages ago. It's like the Jelly Roll Race 2 quilt from MSQC. I used 2 jelly roll packs because they had less than 40 strips but I can't remember how many there were. I pulled out the brown colorway strips and used them for the inner border and the little squares. To use two of the same prints, I sewed them short ends together with a square between to break them up a bit. if you sew them like individual strips, they can fall in weird places in the quilt and sew together in distracting ways. I love how the brown squares are scattered like confetti.



This month I finally got back to quilting it. I already had it layered and basted and begun using a method found in One Line at a Time, Encore by Charlotte Warr Andersen but I found it more difficult than it looked. I kept running into my templates and sewing over them. It was hard to pick out and just more frustrating than I wanted. I should have started out with one of her straight line designs on a smaller quilt. I loved the book and will use her method in another project. This quilt been languishing on my sewing table for the two years I took a break from sewing. 

Since then, my health has improved, I finally let go of my quilting hangups and decided I was just going to quilt it free from templates and just have fun. I'm more than a bit rusty so it started out rough.


But now I'm more into it and the middle is over half quilted.


It still doesn't look like great quilting and I don't really like the texture. I wish I just did wavy lines instead of these bead looking things but I wouldn't have found that out just letting it sit on my table. I even have the binding all ready to go when I'm done.

I really need to work on lighting my pictures better or take them outside on a nice day. The top picture was done today outside and the others were taken quickly inside and edited.

Comments

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of