Mar 15, 2012

Fabric postcards #2 & #3 (post #2)

(If you're here from Sew Many Ways FAFF, welcome! If you want to follow me, I'll follow you back.)
 
So with my top done I decided to use flannel for the batting this time. I basted it on with good old Aquanet hairspray, unscented.

I then quilted each hexagon in a different motif. I just made some up while others were inspired by free motion quilt-a-longs online.

Then came the hard part, cutting it in half to get two postcards.

 This was pretty tough. I realized I should have made it longer in the middle than the ends. I cut it fairly close.

I first drew on a 4" x 6" rectangle to get the best parts in then I trimmed them up. Since I'm new to this, I experimented on the finishing by doing binding on one. I made it with my 1/2 inch single fold bias tape maker. I pinned it around the edge and stitched it on by machine through all the layers. The other one was finished with a zigzag stitch around the edges. I liked both finishes but the stitching was way easier!

Here's the backs.


I like the lack of stitch in the ditch with these. I made envelopes to send them out in but I can't find the pictures of them. I learned a lot with these little experiments. I'm actually thinking of doing a large hexagon quilt with the larger template from my set. I enjoyed doing them and I hope to participate in another. I think I'll probably make more just to try new techniques out and not just for swaps.

1 comment:

  1. I love these. Anyone would be thrilled to get one in the mail!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I hope to have a reply to you shortly but if not it's because I'm busy quilting.