Skip to main content

A QR code for my blog

I  saw a mini QR code quilt at the quilt show last weekend and I just saw another on the web. The first went to a page with a message for her husband, we didn't test it however. The second was supposed to have a message concealed but not a URL address. I got curious and googled "can I get a QR code?". After looking at the first few choices, I saw an article from the NY Times. Since that seems more reliable than a service trying to sell you something, I clicked there. It turns out that the Google URL shortener will make one for your site.

I copy and pasted in my web address to get my short URL ( http://goo.gl/7RTtk ) then clicked details. On the details page is a QR code for your shortened URL

Since I have a mobile template for my blog in addition to a web template, this should bring up my site on a smartphone in a mobile format. I'll have to test it tonight when my husband gets home. It's funny but when I upgraded my phone, I didn't want a smartphone because my husband's didn't react well to my touch. Now, I've got my own QR code and can't use it.

Some of the other sites in the article will make QR codes from your typed message. You could make a whole series of quilts, scarves, bags, note cards, t-shirts, mugs, etc. with secret messages. I might have to make a postcard quilt with a QR code message on printed fabric.



sew many ways

Comments

  1. Hi Michelle, I love QR codes in crafts. I recently saw one on Pinterest that was crossed stitched so I hooked myself up with one for my blog. I plan on making a cross stitched QR code sign for my craft room. - Terrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun idea! Cross stitch was my first needlecraft. I didn't even think of using it that way. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I hope to have a reply to you shortly but if not it's because I'm busy quilting.

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of