Skip to main content

Friday Finish: Hexagon potholders

They are finally done!



and hanging in my kitchen. Quilting with the different colors really helped my mood. The lime green thread really made me happy for some reason.


The stitching is far from perfect on the areas that I free motioned quilted but it was fun.


I'm glad I took out the old stitching on the blue one and did this spiral. It looked better as I went along.



Part of my problem is the wrong equipment. I have a normal sewing foot on my machine and not a quilting foot so I couldn't see where I wanted to go or where I had been. This machine did so well with the FMQ that I really need to go buy a foot for it.




However, the straight line quilting was fun and easy. I'm really excited about these diamond spirals I did on the suggestion of my daughter.


My quilting inspiration came from The Inbox Jaunt. I didn't do them justice but I used her Flower Power tutorial on the green one and her Spiral tutorial on the blue one.

If you want to check out my other posts on this project they start here.

I really needed this small project to get me fired up again! I hope I can keep it going all year. I have another set of small projects already lined up for next week.

Linked up at:

Comments

  1. These are darling. I love the spiral quilting on the sides as well. And you did a great job on the top. A correct foot will make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun potholders! Whn you have fun with a normal foot, you wil love to sew with a darning foot. I will come back to see your aother projects.
    Love from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time that I'm seeing hexagone potholders and I like them. And your quilting made them even more interesting. Before seeing the hexagone shape, I saw only cubes! Great idea to do the spiral quilting and to divide the hexagones in three. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The potholders are so cute and fun. I like the spiral diamond too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I hope to have a reply to you shortly but if not it's because I'm busy quilting.

Popular

The quilt with two names

I've known about this quilt forever. I originally read about it on the Quilting Board way before I'd seen the Jelly Roll Race or the 1600 inch quilt. You can find the original post here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-fast-jelly-roll-quilt-t44258.html   I recommend you wade through it because there are a lot of nice examples. On page 7 is a picture tutorial and somewhere in there is a discussion of making different sizes and using different widths. She used to have a PDF printout for free but you could just print the first page.  Anyways, I used my JoAnn's, 20 strip jelly roll to try this out.  I wanted to also separate the strips by piecing squares in between them. I really like that look for this quilt so I chose a crazy scrap I had laying around and cut twenty 2 1/2 inch squares. The jelly roll had only ten different fabrics, 2 strips of each, so I pieced squares on one end of each strip. I should clarify, you need to piece strips of